Is It Time To Ban Unnecessary Christmas Presents?

Is It Time To Ban Unnecessary Christmas Presents?

Christmas has become a retail festival, and it shouldn’t be. Christmas should be joyous but causes some people unhappiness, debt and worry. Many people feel obliged to buy gifts for others that they know they won’t use, with money they don’t have and cause themselves stress they don’t need.

Martin Lewis.
If anyone knows me, they know I’m a big lover of Christmas. It’s such a wonderful time of year, however after watching Martin Lewis’ money show Christmas special the other night (I promise I do have a life haha) it left me thinking about the commercial side of Christmas. In a segment in the show which went viral, he talks about the topic of unnecessary christmas gifts (the video is on Youtube if you fancy having a watch) and how actually Christmas can be a stressful time for people. I thought I would do a bit of a different, short blog post to discuss and share this message he was trying to get across which I feel is so important.
One of the reasons Martin states that stress at Christmas time is becoming an issue is due to the fact that we have become disconnected to the reasons in which we give gifts at Christmas time and goes onto say how we now feel obliged to give back gifts at a similar value which results in ‘tit for tat’ giving. Actually sometimes the best gift is releasing others from the obligation of having to give a gift to you. The idea of giving at Christmas is still as important and he isn’t talking about banning gifts for your family, children and whoever else there may be, but for this ever expanding list that we feel forced to buy for. He stresses ideas such as a secret santa capped at a price at £10 or so, or actually agreeing that you aren’t going to give that extended list gifts, you are going to give to charity instead and just send out cards, which is an as equally lovely act.

You may feel embarrassed to raise it but most people feel the same way. Less pressure, less cost, less debt, and hopefully more joy.

Do you think it’s time to ban unnecessary Christmas gifts? I’d love to know your thoughts!

Share:

1. Lauren Brooker
    December 8, 2018 / 8:16 pm

This is such an important topic! You’re so right. Christmas should be about spending time together and making memories. I think gifts are a great way show someone you love them but I’ve never been one who’s wanted lavish gifts or even to buy people expensive gifts. I think more thought out sentimental gifts are the way forward! Great post lovely xx

Lauren | itslaurenvictoria.co.uk

2. Anu
    December 6, 2018 / 12:27 pm

I agree! Christmas is about spending time with those important to you, not about gifts! I’ve always bought things that I know the person needs. This year I don’t even have gifts for everyone because when I’ve asked, they’ve said that they don’t need anything. This is also why I’ve always thought that gift cards make a good gift. Everyone has their favourite shop or service they use so it’s really easy to buy something that person likes! Xx

Anu | Based On blog

3. December 2, 2018 / 8:56 pm

LOVE this post babe! I have spoken with my parents about Christmas and told them that I would much rather just a few small, well thought out gifts rather than thousands of things! I think we can all do our bit to help as much as we can

Ellie x

4. Everything Eden
    December 1, 2018 / 4:34 pm

Omg this post is so true, all the adults in my family do a secret Santa and just all get gifts for the kids and I think that’s a really good way of doing it. There is no need to make present bios in stressful, buy because you want to and don’t feel pressured to. There are so many other way to show appreciation! Xx

5. December 1, 2018 / 3:26 pm

Totally agree! I personally do not celebrate Christmas but, I’ve seen my friends be so worried about christmas presents due to how much they need to spend. Loved this post x

6. November 28, 2018 / 1:16 pm

It’s so true! Being a poor student I set budgets and only buy stuff within that budget, and my family normally spend similar amounts on each other, I never thought of it in a way that we’re only getting stuff of equally value. It’s sad that some people just buy gifts for the sake of it but at the same time I think when I buy presents I always think about if they’d like it or not, I hate buying pointless presents that I know people won’t like 🙂 Clare xx | https://www.clayaa.com

7. November 27, 2018 / 1:57 pm

Definitely. We are no longer big shoppers at all. Not for Christmas, nor ever. We try to just buy a little something for everyone that we’re close with and when I say a little something I mean no more than 5-10€. We don’t buy presents for each for Christmas, only for our birthdays. It amazes me how some people spend the whole year saving for Christmas or get in debt to buy gifts. To each their own but we don’t live like that. Great post 😊

8. November 27, 2018 / 9:11 am

What a thoughtful post Amelia. I couldn’t agree more.