HAPPY BONFIRE NIGHT LOVES! The other day I was having a scroll on Pinterest (as per usual) for some bonfire inspired cupcakes seen as bonfire night was approaching and came across these super cute cupcakes with a log burning fire design on the top to give the effect of looking like a bonfire. As like everything on Pinterest, I knew mine weren’t going to turn out exactly like they do on the picture but I thought I would have a bash at baking them for myself this afternoon and I don’t think they turned out too bad for a first attempt? These cupcakes follow a basic cupcake recipe so they are actually super easy to make and most importantly, taste DELISH. Although my last baking post was only a few weeks ago and it’s a bit late seen as it’s November the 5th today, I thought I would share this recipe with you anyway if you fancy having a go at making them next year! I promise you won’t regret making these fun ‘Bangin’ Bonfire Cupcakes’ (see what I did there) which most importantly, you can enjoy at the end with friends and family…or just yourself 😉
Prep time: 15 minutes
Decorating time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes: 12 cupcakes
- 110g Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 110g Caster Sugar
- 110g Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- A few drops of vanilla extract/essence
Ingredients: Buttercream/ Decoration
- 50g (2 oz) Butter
- 110g (4 oz) Icing Sugar
- Red and orange food colouring of your choice
- A pack of crunchy bars
- A pack of Cadbury’s flakes/ or Quality Street Matchmakers.
Method: (basic cupcake recipe)
- Preheat the oven to fan 160 oC, conventional 180 oC, gas mark 4.
- Line a muffin/cake tin with 12 paper cases.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add the caster sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla.
- Beat ingredients together until light and fluffy.
- Divide the mixture between cake cases and then bake for 20 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Place on a cooling rack to cool while you make the icing.
- In a bowl, beat butter until soft and gradually beat in the icing sugar.
- Split the icing into two bowls and colour one in red food colouring and the other in orange food colouring.
- Cut up long strips of flake bars (or snap the matchmakers if your are using those) so they are roughly the same size in a bowl.
- Break up the crunchy bars into small pieces in another bowl.
- Take your two icing colours of choice and layer them up in a piping bag and pipe the cakes. (I found this the most tricky when I was making mine so let me know if you have any tips on how to get the two colours!)
- Finally, sprinkle on top the bits of crunchy bar and carefully add your flakes/matchmakers to act as the logs leaning against each other.
And voila! There you have it, 12 delicious bonfire inspired cupcakes with a crunchy log topping. (YES PLEASEE) Like all of my bakes, these are so simple to make (even though I saw them on Pinterest) as I am by no means an expert myself but are just that little bit different that are the perfect treat (or two…) to munch on cosied up this evening or whenever you fancy. If you do have a go at making these yourself at home, make sure to let me know as I’d love to see your creations!
I hope you all have a wonderful night tonight lovelies!
See my other bakes —> HERE